- 1/2 - 3/4 pound of rigatoni or penne (prepared as directed)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed (I have thrown in fresh chopped spinach as well)
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 14 oz of Italian style diced tomatoes
- 8 oz of chive and onion cream cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (you can use more if you like)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare rigatoni according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a deep pan, pot, or wok and add chicken; After about 3-4 minutes, add onions to the same pan and cook until chicken is no longer pink (do not overcook chicken; onion should be translucent but not browned). Remove from heat.
- Drain spinach between paper towels or by pressing with the back of a spoon in a colander, add to pan with chicken and onion.
- Add cream cheese, salt, pepper and tomatoes to the same pan.
- Combine the chicken mixture and the cooked rigatoni.
- Spread mixture into baking dish.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, covered; 15 minutes, uncovered.
Difficulty: medium (it does require several dirty pots and pans) - update: I have changed the recipe to bring the prep down to two dirty pans and a colander. Not too bad!
Time: 15 minutes prep; 45 minutes baking
Source: an internet recipe that I finally modified to be quick, easy, and yummy