This dish was a hit with my family. I've made it a few times. I prefer it to be made with ground chicken because I can still taste it despite the seasonings; the turkey seemed to take on the flavor of the seasoning. But, I have added almost any vegetable that I had in my house-I've used corn, zucchini, kale, onions. You name it, I've thrown it into the skillet. The first few times I tried cooking this layered dish, I used regular tortillas since I had them on hand; but now, I am trying to increase our whole grains.
- 1 pound of ground turkey or chicken
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 T cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup diced squash
- 1 cup chopped eggplant
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed (or fresh)
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add olive oil to large skillet, Over medium-high heat, throw garlic, cumin, chili powder, and ground chicken or turkey.
- Add vegetables, beans, and salsa. Heat through (about 5-6 minutes).
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish. Place first 2 tortillas. Top with meat mixture and 1/3 of cheeses.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Time: 20 minute prep , 35 minutes baking time
Source: adapted from Schall Fitness