We've had a decent amount of cucumbers come our way this summer, and with only two of us eating them, I was definitely tiring of the chopped-on-salad variety and ready for something new. This easy pickle recipe almost seemed too good to be true. With so few ingredients, there was certainly no harm in trying. I absolutely loved them, and so did my neighbors who helped taste test with me. They were so good that I made a second batch.
Note: This recipe uses and yields 2 quart-sized mason jars. I halved the recipe based on the number of cucumbers I had.
- 8-10 pickling cucumbers or 5-6 regular cucumbers
- 6 cloves of garlic, cut in half
- 2 cups seasoned rice vinegar*
- large bunch of fresh dill, washed.
- Wash and trim ends off cucumbers and cut into ⅛ inch slices.
- Put garlic slices in each mason jar and fill halfway up with cucumbers.
- Stuff a large handful of dill into jars.
- Add the rest of the cucumber and pour 1 cup of seasoned rice vinegar into each jar.
- Tightly put the lid on the jar and shake 2-3 times to blend the flavors.
- Place in fridge for 1 hour, shake again. The salt in the seasoned rice vinegar with draw out the cucumber juice so the jar will be full of liquid in a few hours. After about 2-3 hours, they taste pretty good, however they are far superior if left overnight.
|We may have eaten a few before this picture was taken...oops.|
Time: 10 minutes prep, 3+ hours resting time