- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (bulk if you can find it, otherwise remove casings)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves (fresh) (or use 1/2 tsp dried)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (I use the microwavable bags)
- Shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve squash and remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut side up, on the baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook rice.
- Brown sausage over medium heat, adding the onion, garlic, and pepper just when the sausage begins to brown. Saute until sausage is browned and veggies are tender, add the rice and thyme.
- Once squash is roasted, spoon the sausage mixture into the halves until they are overflowing. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over each half. Return squash to oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown slightly.
Time: a bit more than an hour, total
Source: adapted from http://www.thebusybaker.ca/