- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted OR 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 very ripe bananas, peeled (the riper they are the sweeter they'll be)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners and set aside. (This recipe makes 12 full-sized muffins or 36 mini muffins.)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and drop in the eggs, butter, and syrup. Mix with a fork until it just comes together and set aside.
- In a small bowl mash the two bananas together with the back of a fork. Carefully fold the bananas and walnuts (if using) into the muffin batter and distribute evenly into the 12 muffin cups (or 36 mini muffin cups). Bake until they begin to brown on top and a toothpick comes clean when inserted in the center, about 20 to 22 minutes for regular sized muffins or 12 to 14 minutes for mini muffins.
Difficulty: easy as far as baking goes
Time: 10 min prep and 20-22 min baking