- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 T orange rind (Valencia orange rinds provide the most flavor)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 t each: salt, baking powder, baking soda
- 2 1/2 T butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar (I've had success with Domino)
- 1 1/2 T orange juice
- 2 t orange rind
Cookies (4 dozen, 2-inch cookies)
- Mix shortening, sugar, and eggs until creamy.
- Stir in orange rind and orange juice.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-8 minutes.
- Mix the butter until creamy.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar and orange juice.
- Mix until blended well.
- Stir in orange rind.
Note: I recommend investing in a grater; mine is handheld with a container to collect the rind.
Time: Start to finish about an hour
Source: Work Cookie Exchange