Growing up in the Pittsburgh area, people make pierogies. I love eating them hot at a nearby Nationality Day festival. I tried this amazing casserole at a Steeler-themed party. I scoured my friend Jennifer's Pinterest boards to find this recipe; it was not there. I searched myself and tried a few variations; this is the easiest and quickest. Some of my fails included using oven-ready lasagna noodles; they dried out and making my own mashed potatoes; too heavy.
This dish would be a great side but could also be a stand-alone meal. I look forward to bringing this to many picnics this summer!
- 1 box of farfalle, cooked
- 6 servings of instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed and divided
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare farfalle as directed.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour into 9 x 13 pan. Pour prepared noodles into pan. Mix into butter.
- Prepare mashed potatoes; add 3/4 cubed Velveeta and mix
- Spread potatoes over noodles.
- Saute onion in 1/2 stick butter. Pour over noodle mixture.
- Top with reserved Velveeta.
- Bake 30 minutes until warm.
Time: 20 minute prep; 30 minute baking time
Source: combination of a few different recipes