- 4 lg sweet potatoes (3 1/2 to 4 lb) - I use yams when they are cheaper and it is just as good (note: yams are actually sweeter; though they are not as calorie dense, they don't provide as many vitamins and minerals as sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 medium apples, peeled, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheet with foil. Pierce sweet potatoes with fork; place on cookie sheet. Bake 1 hr to 1 hr 15 min or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let stand 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in 10 inch nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Cook apples, cinnamon and sugar in butter 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until apples are tender.
- Spray 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Slip off sweet potato skins; place potatoes in large bowl. Add salt, pepper, and remaining 6 tablespoons butter; mash until no lumps remain. Add apple mixture; mix well. Spread in baking dish.
- Cover with foil; bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is hot.
Difficulty: pretty easy, though there is a bit of chopping and mashing (the mashing takes less than 30 seconds, though, if the potatoes are done enough)
Time: total of 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours from start to finish, much of which is hands-off
Source: I believe that my mother-in-law got this recipe from a Weight Watchers cookbook