How is it possible that I like each new Gooseberry Patch cookbook better than the last? I am not sure, but our latest giveaway, Weeknight Dinners, is absolutely fantastic. Actually, in the time since Kelly and I were sent the cookbook to review, I have made so many of the recipes that I wasn't sure which to include here first! After some thought, I decided to start with these amazing roasted veggies, because this is a recipe that I have come back to multiple times already. It makes a perfect side dish, as the potatoes and veggies are both included. I have served this side with pulled pork sandwiches, sloppy joes, steak, and chicken and have loved it with every pairing. I love these veggies so much that I have been known to eat them cold out of the fridge as a snack the next day!
As for the book, this is a must have for busy families. It is divided into chapters that make meal prep simple: Meatless Mondays, Tex-Mex Tuesday, Italian Night Wednesday, Comfort Food Thursday, and Just for Fun Friday. Nearly all of the meals are quick and easy, and there is a huge variety in each chapter, including slow cooker recipes, desserts, soups, and more. From the Meatless Monday chapter, I highly recommend the Spinach Stuffed Shells in addition to this recipe. I also can't wait to share with you a recipe from the Just for Fun Friday chapter called "Stir Crazy Cake" - a cake from scratch that is mixed right in the pan!
We are sorry but the giveaway for this post has ended.a Rafflecopter giveaway
- 1.35-oz package onion soup mix
- 1 lb. potatoes, quartered or cubed
- 16-oz package baby carrots
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon (I used 1-1/2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat vegetables well. Spread mixture evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and other vegetables are golden and caramelized.
Time: 5-10 minutes prep, 40 minutes to bake
Source: Gooseberry Patch's Weeknight Dinners, Copyright 2012