- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 8 oz whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko because it was on-hand, but next time I will use whole grain)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Boil a pot of salted water. Cook cauliflower in boiling water for 25 minutes. (To save using another pot, I removed the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and used the water to boil my pasta). Move cauliflower to blender or food processor.
- In a saucepan, warm stock and bay leaves on medium-low heat for 5 minutes; turn off heat.
- Boil pasta 5 minutes. Drain. Place in greased baking dish.
- Blend cauliflower with stock (remove bay leaves), cheese, oil, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour over pasta. Toss and spread in dish.
- Top with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake 20 minutes.
Time: about an hour
Source: Mark Bittman contributing to Runner's World, March 2011